- As indicated in the notice we published on January 5, 2023, our network was strongly present at #AHA23 in Philadelphia from January 5-8, with numerous panels on migration- and mobility-related themes. Please see the previous post for a list of the panels and stay tuned for reports in the Spring 2023 Bulletin of the German Historical Institute.
- GHI Washington Spring Lecture Series: “Moving Out of Harm’s Way: Contemporary and Historical Perspectives on Climate-related Mobilities.” The GHI Washington is, for the first time, hosting its spring lecture series on both coasts, with two lectures in Berkeley and two in Washington DC. All lectures will be hybrid. The first lecture with Uwe Lübken on flooding in Vanport, Oregon, in 1948, and the migration it precipitated will take place on March 2. Please register for in-person or online attendance here.
Calls for papers:
- Online Migration Matters Conference: Networks and Institutions of Technology Transfer in the Early Modern World organized by the UKRI-FLF project “Migration, Adaptation, Innovation: 1500-1800” at Northumbria University, to be held July 24-25, 2023. Deadline February 27, 2023.
- For a roundtable on Teaching about and with Migration: Interdisciplinary Conversations between German History and German Studies at the 47th Annual Conference of the German Studies Association in Montréal, Canada, October 5-8, 2023. Organized by Brian Van Wyck (University of Maryland, Baltimore) and our own #MigKnow editor Swen Steinberg (Queen’s University Kingston and German Historical Institute Washington) Deadline: March 10, 2023.
- For a the Seventh Annual Bucerius Young Scholars Forum on “Histories of Migration: Transatlantic and Global Perspectives” at the Pacific Office at UC Berkeley of the German Historical Institute Washington, from September 18-24, 2023. Deadline March 15, 2023.
- GHI Research Fellow Jana Keck, together with Karl-Eugen Kurrer and Eberhard Pelke, has organized a thematic session at the 8th International Congress on Construction History in Zurich from June 24-28, 2024, TS12 Transnational Bridges: Construction History through the Eyes of Migrants. There are several other migration-related panels, as well. Deadline March 15, 2023.
Calls for applications:
- Scholarships “Beyond Borders” (ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius) in Hamburg. Deadline March 1, 2023.
- 20th Summer School in British History and the History of the British Empire London on “Britain, the British Empire and Migration” from July 25-28, 2023, at the GHI London. Deadline March 7, 2023.
- Resident fellowships in “Migration and Mobility” at the Centre for Advanced Studies “Migration and Mobility in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages” at the University of Tübingen, Germany. Deadline: March 31, 2023.
- The Käte Hamburger Research Centre “Dis:connectivity in processes of globalisation” (global dis:connect) at LMU Munich is advertising a new round of fellowships for the academic year 2024/25. Deadline April 15, 2023.
- Frühmittelalterliche Mobilität – Interdisziplinäre Zugänge, Early Modern Mobility — Interdisciplinary Approaches, held in Heidelberg from September 28-30, 2022, and organized by Laury Sarti of the Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften. Several of the papers at this German conference were held in English.
- Karina Kriegesmann of the Freie Universität Berlin and also a visiting fellow at the GHI’s Pacific Office wrote an English report on the conference held at the GHI Washington last November, German Migrants and Migrating Knowledge in Latin American History for H-Soz-Kult.
- Global Networks — A Journal of Transnational Affairs, has a new issue (23, no. 1) (2023), with numerous articles on migration- and mobility-related topics.
Featured image: Photograph used to advertise the GHI’s Spring Lecture Series, “Moving Out of Harm’s Way.” Credit: Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs: Photography Collection, The New York Public Library. “Drought refugees from South Dakota. Montana,” New York Public Library Digital Collections.